Monday, January 20, 2014

Run of the Mill

Yacht Rock played a nice and easy private party at Roswell Mill Saturday night.  Easy load in, nice crowd, relatively close to my house (I made the drive home in about fifteen minutes).  I was sitting on my couch at 11:30 PM.  Not too bad.


It sounds like we're going to add in John Lennon's Watching the Wheels to our sets (we'd learned it for Please Pleaserock Me the night before), except I'll be playing the synth part on a keyboard instead of approximating with a horn section.  Cool tune!  We also played one of my other favorites from the PPRM gig, Band on the Run, which was very well received.  A few others that made the setlist were tunes for this weekend's big show at the Variety Playhouse--That Lady (Isley Brothers), Sunshine (Go Away)  (Jonathan Edwards), and Treat Her Like a Lady (Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose).  Good stuff.


My PM church gig was once again pretty light on improvisational space, so I mostly focused on my tuning.  Well…mostly I focused on the football game updates coming in on my telephone, but when I was playing, I was trying to be in tune.  The priest's voice sounded like Paul Harvey.  The score was 10-3 at halftime.




Shows this week!

Thursday, January 23  playing with Wild Rice (latin jazz) at the GSU Student Center 4-7 PM (music from 5:30-7), part of the MLK Convocation

Friday, January 24  Yacht Rock will be at the Variety Playhouse, performing all of Dark Side of the Moon, plus selections from the soundtracks to Anchorman and Anchorman 2  8:30 PM

Saturday, January 25  Yacht Rock will be playing the Taste of Dunwoody (benefit for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta) 7-10:30 PM

Sunday, January 26 Yacht Rock will be playing for the Team Hidi event The Giving Kitchen 4-8 PM