Friday, January 24, 2014

MLK at GSU


I subbed into a friend's latin jazz gig yesterday evening (Thursday) for a gig at Georgia State;  we provided background music for a reception following the MLK Convocation.  Interesting gig!

The parking lot attendant couldn't find my name--after several minutes she discovered it because she was looking for David Freeman and it was listed as Dave Freeman.  Really?  Then as I made my way through the deck to find a parking spot, another car passed me in the garage!  Never seen that before.

I was right on time for load in at 3:30 (me and a saxophone and a music stand, so not much to load).  Other band members trickled in, with the last of them arriving forty-five minutes late.  More standing around until 5:30 when we began.  Due to our proximity to the MLK event, there was no soundcheck or anything.

My position ended up being directly behind a large column (and next to a trash can).


Once we got going, the gig was really fun.  I was sight reading the book, which seemed to be mostly blazing sambas!  Very challenging, but I really loved it.  I don't do a whole lot of gigs where I read charts (or play saxophone the entire time), so this was really cool.  I did ok, though a couple of reading things got the best of me.

We played a forty-five minute set and then took a break.  At that point, the crowd began to dissipate, and as we launched into the second set, they took all of the food away and began breaking down the tables.  I think we made it another fifteen minutes before they told us we could stop.  I was out the door ten minutes later.  Gotta love the easy load out!