Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ain't Misbehavin', Opening Night

I subbed in with the Atlanta Lyric Theatre last night, playing the show Ain't Misbehavin' at the Strand Theatre in Marietta.  Super duper fun show!

The book is mostly clarinet, with occasional alto.  I practiced the hell out of the book and played along with the cast recording--I felt good going into it, even though I wasn't fortunate enough to attend any rehearsals.  The speed of the transitions was really tough, though.  There's almost no dialogue between songs, so as soon as one ends, you have to be ready to go (sometimes grabbing the other horn).  That part kicked my butt.  In a couple of spots, I turned to pick up my saxophone, and when I looked back at the music, I'd lost my place, so a few things went flying past me.

It was a really fun show, though!  I don't get calls for stuff like this…wish I did.  I love it.  To top it off, I got to see some really awesome old friends--Eric Alexander, Andrew Fazackerley, Jeff Macko, and the one and only Scott Glazer!  Great playing by everybody…I'll try and keep up!

We're on stage, lined up across the back wall.  Here's my view.


I've got one more night to get it right.

davidfreemanmusic.net