Friday, February 17, 2012

Yacht Rock at The Ivy

Yacht Rock played The Ivy in Buckhead again last night.


It felt like we were playing in a train station.  It was crowded and noisy, and the people could not have cared less about what we were doing.  Too bad, too, because if they'd paid any attention they would have noticed Mark Cobb empty his head of all the drum stuff that was building up.  We witnessed the open handed high hat, the Ringo hit hat thing, playing on the bell of the hi hats, the Purdie fill in various permutations, a few moments with the beat turned around and then back, some crazy fills incorporating the stuff on his left, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember at the moment.  He was even played one handed so he could pose for a picture.


Hopefully I can avoid getting sucked into watching Purdie videos for the rest of the day.

I played pretty well (except for the Little Jeanie, which I practiced and still screwed up).  I had some keyboard trouble with my Fantom--it freaked out in a couple of spots.  It dawned on me at the end of the first set that Cobb's "crash of doom" was smacking the bottom of the keyboard (that's how close we were on stage).  I moved back a couple of inches and that fixed it.

We played Kiss You All Over for the first time in a long time--probably over a year.  I know it's C, F, G, and A minor, but it's so fun to play.  I hope we don't go a year before we see it again.  I played the hell out of that one.

davidfreemanmusic.net