Sunday, January 1, 2012

NYE on Ice

The Yacht Rock Revue closed out our spectacular year by playing our New Year's Eve show at the Park Tavern.  Just like last year, they put carpet and a stage on top of the skating rink…we were the greatest show on ice?


We played a really good show, I thought.  I can't think of anything that didn't sound good--it was just a really solid, even show to a sold out (1,500 people) crowd.  It was also shown on a webcast, so anybody could tune in.  How cool is that?  Very hip--I hope that continues with next year's Park Tavern summer concert series.


I played pretty well.  I had a couple of spots where I was really killing it, immediately followed by brain farts and corresponding wipeouts.  Oops.  Tim Smith was standing behind me offstage for the entire second set--maybe he wasn't listening to me?  On the whole, I think I was good, though.  Hopefully this erases my abomination of a performance the last time we were here.

As far as New Year's goes…I've never been a fan.  I think because my parents treated it like it was any other night, I've never felt like the world was crossing some imaginary boundary.  After the show, I couldn't get away from the Park Tavern quickly enough, past the puke puddles and the girls so drunk they were crying.  Some lady stopped her car in the middle of 10th Street for several minutes because her passenger had his door open, throwing up again and again (I know because I got stuck behind them).  


At the next light, I looked in my rearview mirror, and guess who was behind me, hazards on, passenger side door open.  Not impressive.