Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Wedding? On a Thursday?


Yacht Rock played a wedding Thursday night.  Weird, huh?  I guess they were cashing in on every discount you could find.  Fine with me, though…instead of coming home at 2:30 AM smelling of smoke (and possibly having to wipe spilled beer off my flute),  I was home at midnight.  Plus, we made more money.  So ha!  A win all around.

The gig was pretty fun.  I mean, especially for a wedding, it was a relaxed, nobody's bugging us kind of thing.  We hadn't played together in ten days--it felt pretty good compared to the previous wedding where we were all committed to getting out of there ASAP.  Mark Cobb seemed pretty refreshed, like he was enjoying himself.  Bencuya slipped Rockit into his I Want to Be Your Lover solo again.  Good stuff.

We played Give a Little Bit again.  I screwed up the sax solo the last time we played it.  And then I heard it in the grocery store a few days before Christmas, and as soon as it started I knew I would be standing there listening to the spot where I bit it.  My shame, conveniently located in aisle six at Publix.  Anyway…the solo came back to me.  I played it fine.  I need to stop thinking about it so much.

We also hit Biggest Part of Me for the first time in a long time.  I had a pretty good solo going on that one, but the weird thing was that I was kind of doing little bunny hops and kind of moving around a bit--almost uncontrollably.  Not like a seizure;  but I the part of my brain that was not involved in the head-to-hands chain that makes the music was saying "Why do you keep doing that?  What the hell is wrong with you?" but I just kept kind of using a little body language to pound out my solo.  I don't do too much of that--there's always some "for the show," but this was more of the involuntary, electricity-running-through-me kind of thing.

Last gig of the year…Yacht Rock is playing at the Park Tavern Saturday night.  Get your tickets now!

davidfreemanmusic.net