Thursday, November 10, 2011

Duo Gig!


Tyrone Jackson and I played a duo gig last night at the Hyatt downtown.  Since it was just the two of us, I plopped a Real Book on the music stand in front of us and away we went.

I looked pretty good, but didn't play well.  Some of it was that I just didn't have it…I just couldn't get going.  I think the bigger issue was that I had a couple of uninspiring reeds.  I am listening to the recording as I type this and the sound is fine--sounds like me!--but it was hard work.  I had to put to much effort into playing the gig.  Sometimes it just flows.  Tonight--nope!

Anyway, I settled on a reed that was like a 2x4.  I made it through the night, but that reed wore me out.  Looks like a trip to the store tomorrow to buy another box.

Here's the audio:



A few thoughts:

1.  The first note of El Gaucho is an E, not a G like the book says.  I made this mistake the last time I played this tune out the book.

2.  Tyrone suggested Half Nelson, a tune I haven't given much thought to about fifteen years!  The chords came back to me;  the melody did not.

3.  I'd never played The Night has a Thousand Eyes.  It's hard not hear Coltrane on that one.

4.  I had set up my tenor and soprano, but had only played the former.  One of the techie dorks came over while were playing Voyage and said, "Are you going to play your soprano?  I'm a sax player too.  I play soprano, alto, and tenor."  Then I kicked him in the teeth.  Just kidding.  That's the reason I played soprano on Out of Nowhere, though.  The techie dork came around again later to see what were playing--I avoided eye contact.

Not bad for a Wednesday night!

davidfreemanmusic.net