Sunday, October 16, 2011

Jazzoo 2011


Yacht Rock played at Jazzoo last night.  We were at the zoo.  I walked around before we started.  It appeared to be jazz free.

Actually, that's not true.  I heard a really bad trio parked right at the front entrance, and I ran into Randy Hunter who had been there playing with Kayla Taylor earlier in the evening, and Grant Green Jr was there.

I don't have any good stories about this gig, so how about this:  I played about twenty gigs with Kayla Taylor a few years ago, and she used to get on me for playing too many notes in my solos.  "I bet you fuck like that, too.  Just like a jackhammer" she once said to me.

Back to Yacht Rock…we played two sets, 9-11 PM.  While we were searching for the jazz in the zoo, we sampled lots and lots of good (free) food.  Yeah!  It sure beat the Boston Market stuff that was in our dressing room.

Our gig was incredibly loud…just insanely loud, and it seemed like it got louder later in the evening.




I played sax on one song in the first set and two in the second.  The other twenty songs were keyboard and EWI.

We started the last song of the night and the cops came to shut us down (noise ordinance).  They shut off the main speakers and left the monitors on for us to finish, and nobody on stage could tell the difference.  It was that loud.  It hurt.

Load out was easy and I was home at midnight.  Can't beat that!

davidfreemanmusic.net