Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sunday/Monday

I rolled into my church gig this morning.  After the usual rehearsal, they started passing out music for the concert tonight.  Huh?  The band leader had mentioned a few MONTHS ago playing on some Sunday night show…I guess tonight's the night!  The only problem was that I had a gig already scheduled for that night.  There'd never been a single email with a date, a time…nothing.  I guess that started talking about it last Sunday when I wasn't there and never got around to saying anything to me about it.  Nice.

Anyway…I got a sub to cover it.  Before I left, I took a quick glance through the book and noticed that all the charts were for alto, not tenor.  Good thing I'd looked--they never have me play alto at this gig.  I would have sent a tenor sub.

What a mess!

My gig was a little jazz trio thing--me, Tyrone Jackson, and Kevin Smith.  We were supposed to be down at the Omni at 4:30 for a 5:30 start.  Unfortunately, the Falcons game let out after 4…traffic was insanely bad.  Kevin and I finally got in the room around 5:15.  We still managed to be ready for the opening of the doors, but we were both pretty fried from the stress of the gridlock.

The gig was two hours.  The first set ended up being a handful of Monk tunes and a few other standards.  The second set was originals.  I think we all played really well;  listening to it today, I'm pleased with my performance.

Here's the audio:



Monday morning was a rehearsal for the big show coming up at the end of the week.  Yacht Rock played through all of Purple Rain.  I was pumped, feeling really good about it.  We then played Thriller, and I sucked real bad.  More practice needed!

davidfreemanmusic.net