Monday, July 25, 2011

Another Wild Weekend

loading the gear
Man!  What a good weekend!

Thursday, Yacht Rock played the 10 High.  Nick was sick so Kevin Spencer filled in for him;  Ganesh on drums.  Not too bad of a night!  We had a good crowd (we made good money).  I played well.  Reports from Pete (playing my keyboard on Silly Love Songs) were thus:  "Your sax sounds like shit!"  And thus, my time with the amazing TC Voicelive 2 has come to an end.  It looked cool, it could do lots of stuff, it was well made…but it didn't work well for me on stage.  The crappier Digitech pedal is not nearly as hip, but it works.  I spent most of the second set not thinking about what was happening on stage--I was focused on why I couldn't get what I wanted out of the TC pedal.  Boo.  I can't play gigs worried about my equipment (well, not necesarily true--I already do that;  I just want to keep it to a bare minimum).  TC out.  Purple pedal in.

the passion
pre-gig restaurant

Friday, Yacht Rock traveled up to the Mercy Lounge in Nashville.  SOLD OUT!!  Woo!  How cool is that!  It appears that we're finally getting over the hump up there and people are really locked into what we're doing.  Very cool.  500+ attendees.  Evidently, the owner was working the door and just kept selling tickets past what the fire codes would allow.  Record numbers at the bar.  We were heroes for the night!

with Walter Egan
Walter Egan (of Magnet and Steel fame) sat in with us for two songs:  Only the Lucky and Magnet and Steel.  He hung out with us backstage for about an hour before the show.  Very laid back.  Really cool.  He insinuated that he had slept with Stevie Nicks.  Evidently that's who Magnet and Steel is about.  Interesting.

After the glory had subsided, we loaded up the trailer and drove about an hour out of Nashville to spend the night in Cookeville.  A couple of hours later, we drove to Asheville, North Carolina to play a wedding.

legs

Claxton Farm, Asheville NC
Maybe the coolest wedding we've ever played.  It was in an event space in a pasture.  Neat people.  Really tall women.  Awesome '57 Chevy.  I sent my Dad pictures (it was his dream car).  He never responded.




pre-gig boredom
I think the highlight of the night was Cobb's decision to steer Escape (Pina Colada Song) into Wipeout.  Perfect segue.

The groom and a friend played Mustang Sally--I think the first official Yacht Rock attempt at it in the history of the band (I'm not counting the time we backed up Nick's Dad at Nick's wedding).  They were good!

Ganesh Giri Jaya filled in for Pete and didn't miss a beat.

For the second time in a week a stranger at a gig asked me for blow--this time, it was some guy who cornered me at a urinal and insisted that someone in the band must have some.

a rally of some sort
We packed up, raced to the hotel, and went to bed as quickly as possible.

The next morning, Nick took us to breakfast at some amazing restaurant, then we headed for home.


I took some pictures of Mark Dannells.


 

 

 

brunch
neighborhood garden
Bencuya dreaming about a well behaved Fantom
Sunday night I played my church gig.  I'm definitely getting better at mixing--I had it sounding good!  I played well, too, which was fun personally.  My flute face was really happening.

davidfreemanmusic.net