Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Trio Gig

I (along with Louis Heriveaux and Kevin Smith) played a trio gig last night in the CNN atrium.  Some kind of corporate reception background music thing.  No sweat.  Actually, I did sweat quite a bit trying to get the PA and my stuff into the atrium.  I couldn't find the phantom CNN loading dock entrance and had to do some evasive driving in 5:30 downtown traffic.  No fun.  Eventually, I just gave up and turned my truck in at the valet at the CNN/Omni.  From there, eight steps led to lots of elevator rides to nowhere.  Needless to say, by the time I finally got to the atrium, I was not happy (and I still had to set everything up).

The gig itself was a really tedious.  The time between the three of us seemed (to me) to be all over the place.  Listening back, it doesn't seem as bad as it felt.  I was not happy--it felt like there was no groove and no energy.  It got better mid-gig, but then evaporated again at the end.  I was glad when the gig finally ended.  It felt too much like work.  I'm not sure if we were ever really playing together.  It was more like we were playing next to each other.

Anyway…here's the audio if you want to give it a listen.



In other news, here are two clips from the Yacht Rock gig in Nashville last Friday.





davidfreemanmusic.net