Friday, June 17, 2011

Thursday at the Ol' 10 High


Usual Thursday night 10 High gig.  It was really fun, but geez…I sucked really bad.  It was like I haven't thought about any of these songs in a month.  Some particular low points were the little synth break in Heart of Rock and Roll (which I practiced and played well in Nashville last week, but haven't thought about since), and All Night Long (which completely bit me in the ass).

My last big equipment upgrade of the year was a new effects pedal for my sax stuff.  I bought a TC Helicon Voicelive 2.  Super fancy and very state of the art.  It seems to be infinitely programmable.  I have the first preset built as my basic thing--just reverb.  Then, I can turn on (or turn off) chorus, slap reverb, and doubling within that preset by stepping on the different buttons.  Crazy.  Before, I would have to have a preset for each one.  Then I have a big stack as another preset (like three or four octaves wide) for Silly Love Songs.  For Heart of Rock and Roll, I have the solo sound, then one harmony set for the little back and forth thing, and then another harmony set where me and another voice move in thirds, and there's a note on top of us that stays the same.  Is that crazy or what?  I also have a thirds thing for Kodachrome and a couple of settings for I Want a New Drug.  Wow.  Cool.


It's XLR in and out, and also does fantom power, so I can use my Shure clip on mic without having to power it separately.  Plus, the noise floor on it is way lower than that cheapo Digitech pedal, and the effects are much better sounding.

Last night was its maiden voyage.  First set, I had some feedback issues because the gate wasn't really doing its job.  Boo.  I managed my way through by keeping my body between my monitor and the mic.  On the break, I jacked up the gate.  Unfortunately, I just guessed, and I guessed poorly!  I had it at -15 db, so it would only open when I was playing full blast;  it kept opening and shutting mid phrase on Silly Love Songs.  Oops.  Fix it next time?

Bjorn Borg on drums!
Anyway, it was a good gig and everybody else played well, but I was not good.  We all had a very good time and the room was moderately crowded, so everybody went home happy!  Yay!

Today I had a pianist come over to take a lesson with me on improvisation…like I know what the hell I'm doing!  I did my best to interpret my own stream of consciousness stuff.  I guess it's kind of good to stop and think about my playing--a lesson for both of us.  Since I don't have any kind of "system," I suggested we get together and play, and he could stop us and ask questions.  Here are a couple of tunes we played.  My time is not too good on either.

 Oleo by David B Freeman

 How Insensitive by David B Freeman

My rhodes sounds good!  It's like my afternoon with Chick Corea!

davidfreemanmusic.net