Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Indiana Homecoming


So…yeah, the gig at the Mercy Lounge in Nashville was a high point for Yacht Rock.  We kicked ass, and the crowd (great numbers, too!  something like 320 people all together) loved every note of it.  The sound was good (super loud, but what else is new), the vibe was great.  When we came off stage after the second set, the crowd was screaming for an encore.  Bencuya declared "We're killin' it!"


Once we finished and celebrated and pack up, we drove to Bowling Green, Kentucky in the middle of the night to get away from the Bonnaroo traffic.  We arrived at something like 4:30 AM, crashed for a few hours, and drove to Carmel, Indiana (on the north side of Indianapolis).  There we set up and played a pretty cool outdoor show for Rock the District 2011.  The weather was perfect;  low eighties and slightly breezy.  We were in a parking lot, but the crowd got thicker as the gig went on, and by the end, people were into it, dancing on rooftops and such.




I was kind of weirded out by the gig.  Being back in Indiana--just the smell of Indiana!--was enough to bring back all the stress and tension of being at I.U.  I swear I could feel a wave of guilt pushing me to go practice instead of wandering around town for a half hour.  It kind of freaked me out.

When we started the show, Nick let the crowd know that five of the seven of us are Indiana University School of Music graduates, and the crowd went wild.

Our three native Indianans (Indians?), Mark Cobb (Carmel), Nick, and Pete (both from Columbus) received a hero's welcome, and all three had large numbers of family in attendance.  The big midwestern hug from the crowd made the whole gig feel really good.

We got in the van at 10:30 AM Sunday morning and drove all the way back to Atlanta.  I think it was about ten hours by the time we unpacked the trailer.

Speaking of which, this was the first big test for all my cases.  I added foam to a couple of cases (one for my speaker and one for miscellaneous crap).  A nice job if I do say so myself, and way cheaper than buying them with the foam already inside.  Way to go, Dave.



I cut some more foam away from the knobs on my Fantom and had no issues all weekend.  I guess that really was the problem.  Now I know.  Somewhere between here and Indianapolis, I researched the loose knob thing, and it according to the internet, there knobs are all held to the circuit board by solder, so I will probably need to get in there and tighten them up at some point.

We've got a really light week.  Don't expect too much from here.

davidfreemanmusic.net