Friday, May 13, 2011

Sundress Night at the 10 High


Many fine sundresses were in attendance last night at the 10 High, and I, being the number one fan of the sundress, say thank you, especially to the one in front of me for the first set.  I wanted to take pictures, but I think that'd be crossing the line.  And, I think she was there with her mom.


The gig was…two gigs in one.  The first set was really solid.  We had Greg singing for Nick and Dani (Dani's birthday!) playing bass for Greg, and we had no problems in that configuration.  Everybody played well;  I was particularly digging Mark Cobb's hi hats.  Is that a fair compliment?  I don't know.  It struck me that the hi hats sounded really good, though.  Worth mentioning.  Cobb was really playing well.


I played well, too, probably because I could hear myself.  I think I've got the stuff in my rack dialed in.  Turn it on and turn it up.

I played tenor only once the entire night--the sixteen measure solo in Too Hot.  That was probably good luck on my part because the tenor reed that I was using was DONE.  My alto felt great.  I took my flute, tenor, and alto to Lopes' house earlier in the day and had him fix them up.  Other than the ripped pads (he found another) on my flute, everything was in good shape.


Back to the show!

Dannells played a pretty ferociously awesome solo on How Long.  That's when I knew we were really on it.  Very little cursing on his part until the end of the set.

Notice how everyone's standing AROUND the lighted dance floor?  Thank you, 10 High.


The lights went out on the dance floor.


If the first set was a continuation of last week's Park Tavern gig, the second set was like a third set from last week's 10 High gig.  It was brutally bad.  An alcohol fueled mess.  I wondered if we'd make it to the end.  At one point, I think we were playing I Keep Forgetting instrumentally, reggae style.  At least, that's what I was doing.  And with a calliope sound.

I relearned the string part to Lowdown, but I ended up screwing it up again.  I only remembered about half of it.  It's really easy, which means I'm really stupid.



I Keep Forgetting was on the set list, but we ended up cutting it because Michael McDonald is a freak of nature.  The vocals are too high ("Every time you're near…").  I was really excited about playing it.  It kind of took the air out the gig for me when it was eliminated.  That said, I am not a vocalist, so I have no business criticizing some one else about those kinds of decisions.

Maybe tonight?  Ganesh is subbing for Nick…he may take a shot at it.

davidfreemanmusic.net