Saturday, May 14, 2011

Party Time

Yacht Rock played a private party last night at Star Provisions (Howell Mill and 14th).  Super easy gig.  It turned out to be a lot of fun.


The load in sucked.  This one is like a "Hotel Intercontinental and Use the Freight Elevator" kind of sucks (different from a "Fox Theatre/Egyptian Ballroom Vertical Phonebooth for a Freight Elevator" kind of sucks).  You load in at the back corner of the building, go up the ramp, across the back of the building, in the back door, down one hall, then down another hall to the freight elevator.  The other option is to use the passenger elevators, but only one (the left) goes to the fourth floor;  the other only goes to three, so if you go up that one, you have to jump to the other elevator when it tops out.

The room itself is pretty cool.  Great view.  I've been there before on a House Live gig.


Catering for the event was by Taqueria del Sol.  Half the band tried to load in from there…on purpose, or bad directions?  I ate a ton of chips and spilled a gallon of salsa juice on the floor.

The uniform for guests:  ladies must wear skin tight white jeans (not my thing, but thank you for the effort).  For the guys, plaid button down shirt, khakis or jeans, brown loafers.  It looked like a UGA alumni meeting.  Bud Light drinkers.

The gig was really smooth.  No problems.  Everybody was in a good mood.  We played well.  I could hear myself really well.  I steered us into reggae for a verse of Escape (Pina Colada Song)--Allen Cook would be proud of me!  We played I Keep Forgetting.  Playing that song with Mark Cobb was as good as I thought it would be.  Made me very happy.

I packed up all my stuff in twenty minutes--a personal record.  Thank you, SKB.

davidfreemanmusic.net