Friday, March 11, 2011

Ugh.


Yacht Rock played the 10 High last night.  Nick was sick and Cobb was out, so we had Kevin Spencer and Ganesh working with us.  I wore my new suit.

I know what you're thinking:  Kevin Spencer has an unofficial fan site?  More than one, it appears.  Here's another.

The first set was pretty good.  I got off a really good solo on Biggest Part of Me--remarkable because I haven't had a saxophone in my hands much at all this week.  Kind of a dud reed, but it was able to take the air, so it ended up being more of a feel issue for me and nothing else.  Not much else to report in the first set…it was pretty solid, though the  tempos felt slow to me.

The second set…ugh…the second set was a drag.  It felt slow, and the talking between songs was really annoying, and the crowd was ambivalent.  Brutal.  There was no flow to the set, and the space between songs made it feel like we'd never played a Yacht Rock gig before.  It had all the momentum of a morning rehearsal.  I thought we'd never get to the end.

It got even longer when the entire band stopped, mid-song (Takin' it to the Streets), to have some drunk guy thrown out.  We waited and waited and waited (and yelled at him on the mics) while Nate (our security guy) slowly walked him out of the room.  I think his exit was longer than the song itself.  It sure didn't help make the gig go.

When we finished, I never even bothered to get off the stage--I just started packing up.

After all that, we made pretty good money!  Ahh...the happy ending!

davidfreemanmusic.net