Friday, September 10, 2010

The Non-Bencuyas

The Yacht Rock Revue returned home to our usual Thursday night gig at the 10 High.  I guess our crowd didn't know we were back or something, because it was sparsely attended.  Maybe they thought we were the Main Street Exiles.

Due to a family emergency, Mark Bencuya couldn't make the gig, so we had Mike Bielenberg filling in as the other keyboardist.  As much as I missed, it was also kind of fun--Bielenberg knows lots of the same parts that I do, so I did my best to play some of Bencuya's parts.  More Than a Woman was alot of fun, and I was really pleased with myself for learning the tune that afternoon and playing it well that night.  I could have done Bencuya's rhodes part on Baby Come Back (I hadn't had a shot at it since Brandon and I covered a gig a few years ago), but it got cut.  I also enjoyed being "the man" on How Long and Hot Child in the City--in real life I just double Bencuya as best I can.  Last night I was Bencuya for those two.  I think I fared well!  Too bad Nick couldn't tell.

I guess singers are a necessary evil.

davidfreemanmusic.net