Saturday, September 11, 2010

Neiman Marcus Trio

I played a trio gig last night at Lenox Square Mall in Neiman Marcus.  I have no idea what it was for;  they told us where to set up, and we played the gig.

The trio for last night was Louis Heriveaux on keyboard and Evan Hodges on bass.  For the most part, things were cool.  It's always a pleasure to play with Louis, who brings his warm personality to every tune on the gig.  I'd never played a gig with Evan before, and was pleased to hear such a great bass sound  coupled with so much creativity.
We were all over the place tempo-wise.  The first set, everything except the final tune rushed, to the point where it was really starting to piss me off.  The middle set and most of the last set leaned backwards, and then the last tune was pushing again.  My guess would be that if we played more as a unit, this would all even out.  Both guys did a good job of sightreading more charts (except for for Guitar Song which evidently is quite daunting, and somehow ended up in five!, and someone's decision to make part of Cha Cha swing).
I played on the deadest tenor I've encountered in quite some time.  It responded ok, but the sound was pretty bland.  It needs to go, but that means I need to busy breaking in some new ones.

Anyway, here's my recording of the event.  Hope you enjoy listening!



davidfreemanmusic.net