Friday, May 14, 2010

Thursday

Thursday was a big gig day.  Here's all my gear that I needed to get through the day (minus clothes):

Gig #1:  I played saxophone at the Omni hotel downtown for people getting off buses.  Here's the drill:  bus pulls up, I play saxophone, they walk into the Omni, I stop.  Repeat as necessary!

Gig #2:  I played a House Live gig with Jeff and Steven.  This gig was a tough one--we (Steven and I) need to "fit" into the tracks that Jeff is playing.  Unfortunately on this gig, the client asked us to keep the volume super low.  I couldn't really hear much of the track (neither could Steven), so I it was more or less the two of us playing for each other and trying to make sure we were in time with the track.

Gig #3:  Yacht Rock!  Yeah...awesome!  The crowd was terrific, and the band played like we were actually pretty into it.  Kudos to Mark Dannells, who really ripped it up last night.  He said that he's finally getting back on some sort of regular practice schedule, and it sure sounds like it.  He was on fire!

Also noteworthy at this gig was the fact that the beer tub girl reported a male and female having sex next to her.  This would be approximately ten yards directly in front of me.  Yacht Rock will do that to you!

Tomorrow night, I get to play Andrew Gold's Lonely Boy.  Faithful readers will recall how much I dig this song.  I get to play the piano part.  How awesome is that?!  I've got to get it right, though, which means I've got some practicing to do.  Gotta hold up my end...
davidfreemanmusic.net