Monday, May 10, 2010

Another Whirlwind Weekend

Saturday morning, Peter, Bencuya, and I met at Mark Cobb's house (at the insane hour of 6:30 AM) to gather our equipment and ride to Amelia Island for a wedding reception.  We scooped up Nick at the Jacksonville airport.  Good thing we had some down time before the gig--we napped HARD.
The wedding reception was very easy.  We were playing under the name Constantly Awesome, with myself added on as an extra player.  I more or less functioned as lead guitar, which meant that by the end of the night I'd taken saxophone solos over songs like I Love Rock and Roll, Talking in Your Sleep, and Highway to Hell!  Here are some pictures from outside the venue.

Sunday morning we piled into the van and drove the six hours back to Atlanta so we could play the Sandy Springs Festival.  It was awesome!  Probably three thousand people showed up to a really nice outdoor venue and soaked up every note.  The weather was perfect, and the sound was right on the money.  You can see a cool set of pictures here.   Here's a picture of Jack and me after the gig.

This week I have to solve two equipment problems.  On Thursday night I discovered that my wireless MIDI unit for the EWI was not functioning.  I'm not sure what is happening--both sides (receiver and transmitter) have power, and the lights are flashing like the signal is good, but nothing is happening.  Yesterday my effects pedal for my saxophone was not putting out any signal.  It powered up fine, but the outputs were dead.  God only knows what's wrong with that thing!  I played the gig yesterday with the sax going direct and a long MIDI cable.  No big deal.  Right now, issues like this are never ending.