Saturday, May 25, 2019

Some Non-Yacht Rock Stuff

As the title says...non-Yacht Rock stuff this week. Also, no Steve Gadd.

Thursday: I played with the Atlanta Latin Jazz Orchestra this week down by Georgia Tech (4th Street and West Peachtree) on a private gig for the opening of a building. I was kind of stressed out about this one, mostly because Rob had scheduled three sets of potential tunes and I hadn't found much time to prepare (and the music is hard). I did manage to squeeze in a little bit of work on it last week in San Francisco, but really, I just wasn't as ready as I'd like to be.


Fortunately (?), the gig had some really loose scheduling--like two thirty minutes sets with thirty minute breaks--and then an incredibly isolated rain cloud soaked the stage and killed our final set. Kind of a bummer, though--I really do enjoy playing with this band.


Saturday: After forty-eight hours of of desperately trying to get my flute chops back in shape after this week of bari playing, I was down at my church gig for a Saturday morning service. Geez, my face was tired; sounded tired, felt tired. There was a lot of playing on this one, too, and sometimes I'd play something that sounded really clear and pretty, and then the next phrase would be tight and dull. The rest of the band is tolerating it well, though.

I'll be back there on Sunday evening for the usual, and I want to practice (since I have Saturday night off), but I know I probably just need to rest tonight and get in a good warm up tomorrow.

(Monday update: my flute face was better, but not great!)