Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Bumpin'

I got a last minute call/text to sub in the bari sax chair for Bumpin' the Mango's regular Monday night gig at Cafe 290. Sure, of course. I got the set list early enough that I was able to go over everything once before heading to the gig.

Weird gig. First of all, I was not the only sub, and it sounded like they were all pretty last minute--both saxes (Luke Weathington and me), one trumpet (Rob Opitz), and the guitar (Grant Reynolds) were all doing our best on short notice. Secondly, early in the second set a woman passed out in the back of the room, so we paused to ask if there was a doctor in the house. No? The paramedics were called, and the band played on! Once they arrived, we did take a short break while they loaded her on a stretcher and carried her out, and then...here's an original called Cold Drink (Shots!)! Not even ten minutes after the ambulance had left, there were flashing lights again, this time because the apartments across the street were possibly on fire! Jeez. Let's get out of here before something else happens.


Anyway, playing-wise, I felt pretty good. I realized that one of my problems playing bari is that after a certain number of low notes, my mouth get dry and something in my embouchure changes, and if I'm able to stop and reset, things are more consistent.

Also, it was cool to catch up with Grant Reynolds, whom I hadn't seen in at least a year. His guitar playing is as virtuosic as ever.