Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Odds and Ends


Another week without much going on. Yacht Rock did a video shoot for the stuff we recorded in the studio earlier this year; I look forward to lots of shots of me standing at this microphone, doing nothing and trying to remember what I played a month ago.

Immediately following that, we went to Venkman's for another "Unplugged" gig. I was pretty braindead by that point, but I did pull off a good flute solo on Lowdown. We also learned Welcome Back, Kotter. Kinda random (and it took me waaaay too long to get the rhodes part together), but a good 70s learn nonetheless. Keisha Jackson showed up at the end of the night and sang on two songs.

Last night (Monday), I played bari sax with Bumpin' the Mango at Cafe 290 in a horn section full of subs (Joe Gransden's big band took all the regular guys away). I guess it was inevitable that eventually I'd have a crappy night playing this gig--last night was it. I couldn't get my brain to cooperate and count, and then I also had the annoying sax problem of trying to drop my jaw to play a bunch of low notes, only to have no sound come out.


Nobody complained about me being there, though, which means that either I got away with a mediocre performance, or everybody was sympathetic to my pathetic (which doesn't make sense, but I like the way it sounds when I read it). Good hang with Neil Newcomb, who killed it on tenor sax.