Thursday, February 22, 2018

DMB2

I played another Dave Matthews Band cover gig Tuesday night with Dustin Cottrell and The Laymen--though I guess it wasn't really the Laymen since the other half of the duo was unable to play either DMB gig. Anyway...Dustin on guitar and vocals, Marla Feeney on violin, Billy Gewin on bass, Sam Owens on drums, and me on saxes.

Velvet Caviar opening the show
Once again, the attendance was terrible (fewer than ten people in the room the whole night), which is too bad, because we kind of killed it. This was a much better combination of players (especially Sam on drums, who grabbed much more of the right vibe and parts--splash cymbals? yes! playing the form? yes!), and overall, we were just a bit more confident having survived the first gig. Billy did a great job playing bass and contributing harmony vocals, and I could hear Marla this time. I'm not a DMB fan, but this was fun.

New song for this one: Tripping Billies.