Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Two Plus One

 This past weekend's events: 2 Yacht Rock gigs (in two cities), and a Beatles birthday party.

Friday: We played some kind of private event for a bunch of good looking people (women) at Buckhead Theatre. Seriously--one of them (women) looked like George Clooney's wife, but with fake boobs. They got drunk, we played...it was fun!

Now that Buckhead Theatre is trying to be a real music venue, they have loaders to drag our gear in and out. If only they could solve the parking...


We had Jason Nackers on drums for this weekend. Excellent job. I thought he nailed it tonight.


Saturday: On a couple of hours of sleep, we flew to Indianapolis for a benefit for a private school.


photo by Zach!

This one was backlined, and the gear was good. The production...not so good. The lighting...not good at all. Light bars and zip ties is not a lighting rig!



I tried to go for a run after soundcheck--there's a nice path that follows the path of the river.


Unfortunately, it was mostly blocked with water. I eventually quit this idea and ran to downtown Indianapolis and back. The rain held off until three quarters of the way through, which means that I got pretty wet.


I think that we should include a color chip in our rider so that we get bananas that are currently edible. These still have a week to go.


The gig was dark (thank you lighting person) and kind of boring. Not much energy from the crowd, and the in ear system didn't sound very good. We dragged our way through it, and felt fortunate at the end of the night to be able to get up and walk away from the gear.



Sunday: We flew back early Sunday. Much like the day before, I slept for the entire flight.

This evening's show was a version of our Beatles band, this time celebrating the music of George Harrison on what would have been his seventy-fifth birthday. Mostly it Nick and Tim Smith, and then the rest of the Yacht Rock guys filled in around them at different points of the night. On top of that, we had Peter Stroud and Benji Shanks on guitar, and Gaurav Malhotra on percussion, and Lauren Staley and Jason Morrow of Whiskey Gentry singing and playing.

This gig was the most fun and relaxed out of the weekend. I sure do miss playing our Beatles shows.


Here's video if you want to check us out:


Since you can't hear any of my keyboard parts and can only sometimes pick out my sax stuff, let me assure you that everything I played was perfect, and I knew all the words to My Sweet Lord.