Monday, May 9, 2016

Sazerac

Sazerac...an idea launched in the Yacht Rock van of learning and playing a set of New Orleans inspired music, including Little Feat, The Meters, The Band, and Doctor John.  We have gone as far as actually recording an album's worth of music (still unreleased!), and around once a year, we actually do a gig.  2016's occasion was a show at Venkman's, opening for Moontower.


This has been one of my favorite projects--I did the horn arrangements for the recorded stuff, and also wrote arrangements for the live performances.  This year's section included Rob Opitz (trumpet) and Gary Paulo (bari sax), with me on tenor sax and clarinet.  The rest of the band:  Greg Lee (bass/vocals), Mark Dannells (guitar), Benji Shanks (guitar), Mark Bencuya (keyboard/vocals), Ganesh Giri Jaya (percussion/vocals), and Mark Cobb (drums).

The lack of space on stage left the horn section sprinkled in among the other instruments--it was the best we could do, sort of wrapped around the side of the drum set.  From my position at the front of the line I could hear the other two ok, but I think Gary suffered from almost being on the steps off the stage!  That also meant we had no monitor, so who knows what happened!

Anyway, I had a good time and a good night.  Every year, I chip away at getting my arrangements cleaner, and I saw a couple of things that I'll try and clear up for the next one.  Except for a few flubs, I was pretty accurate, and my solos were good (for a change).  See y'all next year!