A Quickie in Miami

Last Saturday, Yacht Rock played a wedding for a couple of fans from Baltimore in Miami Beach.  Small wedding (80 people), and pretty tame.  We flew, but our gear drove (Hans and Kip doing the duty).  Love that.

The drive from the airport to the venue included a near accident with two guys in a car who were obviously sooooo high that it didn't faze them one bit.  Minutes later, we noticed them passing somebody in the emergency lane.  Miami has its own special kind of crazy.

We had very good Cuban sandwiches at a nearby restaurant.

After soundcheck, there was a long hang out--the ceremony was on site, so we had to set up and then be quiet (and hide).  I took a nap.

The gig was a success.  I think they liked us, but not in a Park-Tavern-their-heads-are-going-to-explode kind of way.  I'd guess that around two thirds of the guests watched from their seats.  Lots of babes at this event, including the wedding planner.

The specially learned song for this was Lionel Richie's Hello.  Remember the video?  The groom's cake was Lionel's head, made of chocolate.

I've got to admit, I kind of like playing this song.  Lots of things to do.  Bencuya hates it.  Bitterly.

The inspiration:

Load out was...foul smelling!  It really smelled bad.  At one point, Hans had to give up and go back inside because he was almost gagging.

With the PA plus our gear, the trailer was very full.

And then Monkeyboy ran through my picture.

Here was the toughest part...we went to bed at 1:30 AM, which because of daylight savings time was really 2:30 AM, and had to be in the lobby at 7:30 AM to take the shuttle to the airport.  Ouch!

We boarded the plane...no air conditioning.  The crew shut the electricity down and then powered it back up, but that didn't fix it.  I'm kind of surprised that 1.  the "turn it off and turn it back on" solution was attempted;  2.  the pilot announced on the intercom that "turn it off and turn it back on" was the best solution to the problem.  Anyway...after a nap and about a half hour, we were sent back into the airport.  A half hour after that, we reboarded.  I promptly fell back asleep and woke up just as we touched down in Atlanta.  Plenty of time to go home and do some stuff before my goddamned church gig.

Popular posts from this blog


European Vacation

Northeast Run