Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Another Weekend

Another weekend come and gone, a significant chunk of which I spent asleep in the van.

Friday:  no gig, but I caught the big CD release show for Indianapolis Jones at the Goat Farm.  Indianapolis Jones is Nick's original band, and also has Mark Cobb on drums.  Great stuff!  Their album is super good, and their show was equally spectacular.




Video!



Saturday:  Yacht Rock played a wedding in St. Simons.  Yay gig, boo long car ride.  Any ride that involves driving to Savannah is a bummer.  Fortunately, I slept a lot.

We stopped for lunch at Subway.








We were Constantly Awesome for this gig, which means a much broader mix of tunes instead of the late 70s/early 80s boundaries of our main gig.  The CA gigs are fun--Bencuya usually does much of the keyboard work, and I play along on my side.  For this particular gig, he was out of town, though, which meant that I had the opportunity to play some of his parts.  Very cool!  Particularly fun were the Beatles tunes with Billy Preston on keyboard, such as Don't Let Me Down and Get Back.  



The reception was at the edge of a marsh.  I bet it gets really buggy here in the summer, but for this weekend the weather (and this setting) was just about perfect.



Sunday:  We drove home.  I slept most of the way.  So did Pete.


Sunday night I was back at my church gig.  I think someone's back to messing with the amplifier settings again, as my spot for the main faders was much louder than the previous couple of weeks.

I thought I spied the trumpet player from Easter and I got freaked out that she might be coming to beat me up after our last gig together.  It was enough to keep me awake for the entire service.  I guess it wasn't her, though.  Good thing.


Another week awaits!