Sunday, April 13, 2014

Reagan Rock


Yacht Rock played our first show of the year at Park Tavern Friday night to a 1,000+ crowd.  We don't play around Atlanta as often as we used to, so it's always a welcome sight to see a big audience when we have a local show.  We had a great time!


We added two new ones for this gig:  Head Over Heels (Tears for Fears) and the late addition of Take on Me (A-ha).  The latter was added Wednesday, the result of a Facebook poll of our fans.  Both were fun to play.  I have more nostalgia for the Tears for Fears, but the something about the breakneck speed of the A-ha that was fun, too.


This was the gig where I decided to play Careless Whisper on tenor.  The guy on the original recording sounds kind of like he's playing alto to me, but I read later on that it was tenor recorded at a slower speed and then sped up, which explains why it's kind of chipmunk-y.  After all this time, playing it in a different key was really bizarre.  Doing that made this a one horn gig, though.  Lots of saxophone in that first set:  Maneater, True, Who Can it Be Now?, Get Out of My Dreams, and Careless Whisper.   I felt like I could hear my saxophone really well.  I know my amp was cranked, but we also had Zach Wetzel running sound for us, and he did a great job out front.


Other than that, it was stuff we've played before.  No problems.

Here are a couple of video clips courtesy of Bex Mitchell.

Maneater solo:


Careless Whisper clip:


See y'all May 16!