Monday, December 2, 2013

Easy Day

No Saturday night gig…the weekend immediately following Thanksgiving has pretty much always been dead for everybody, so I don't feel too bad about not working.  Sunday was a regular day, though, with services in the morning and evening.

My Sunday morning gig was uneventful.  I played some clarinet on the opening song (kind of Christian klezmer oom-pah thing).  The remainder of the service, I played soprano and tried to stay in the background as much as I could.  No big spots for me to fill, so I did my best to participate without being noticed.


The instrumentation was a little unusual--in addition to the usual drums, bass, piano, church organ, and me, we had Neil from the contemporary service joining us.  Neil plays B-3 organ, so he played some with us--dueling organs?  I always wonder what that sounds like out front.

We played two services this weekend, which was cool for the money.  I must admit that my clarinet felt so good that I was happy to play two.

My evening church gig was also mostly a non-event for me.  The music chosen for this weekend didn't leave me many opportunities to play, so I stayed out of the way as best I could.  One of the hymns was such a wandering subdominant nightmare that I gave after a few seconds of trying to weave something into it and put my soprano back on the stand.


Yacht Rock will be in Nashville at the Mercy Lounge this coming Friday night if you're around.