Monday, May 20, 2013

Sundazed

The Marriott Marquis atrium
After the late night at the Marriott Marquis and then Smith's Olde Bar, I went to bed around 3 AM.  Four and a half hours later, I was headed out the door again, this time off to my AM church gig.  Ugh.

The gig turned out to be pretty good.  For one thing, they've scrapped the V-drums and returned to an acoustic kit.  I don't think anyone was on in ears, either.  Whatever the sum of all those little things was resulted in the band digging in a little more and playing more cohesively, and the results were much more satisfying.  I played saxophone on two songs (both with some solo room) and one on unamplified/inaudible flute (not Matt's fault).  I also played clarinet on the closer.

We did two services…extra money!  though it did delay my nap.

Sunday night, I was back at the Marriott Marquis in the same room in the same spot (probably on the same stage) for a House Live gig.  The one on Monday was pretty fun, but this one was rough.  The main problem was that there was no monitor, so I heard nothing that was going through the PA except for the reflection off the wall across from us, and that was pretty quiet.  Mostly it was me noodling against two drummer/percussionists who were also noodling.  Boring as hell.  Paid well, though.


Strange to be on a four man (DJ, 2 percussionists, me) with TWO lighting guys.  The funny thing was that the client vetoed any light changes or movement, so both those guys set their lights and then sat there for three hours.