Sunday, August 5, 2012

Choker

Yacht Rock rolled back into town last night after two theatre shows.

Thursday:  Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh, NC.  We'd never played here before, and our first impression was that it was a skinny version of the State Theatre in Virginia.



Easy load in and fairly easy soundcheck…there was some sort of problem with one of the monitor mixes, but they swapped it out (it died in the middle of the show and they had to switch it back).  Other than that, the on stage sound was pretty good.



This show was fun.  We had a decent crowd (over one hundred) for our first attempt at Raleigh, and they were very enthusiastic.  Hopefully we'll be back!

here's Ethan the Monitor Guy, who burned a bag of popcorn and ate it throughout the second set
I continued my trend of screwing up the solo in Africa.  I'm messing up one measure of a six measure solo.  It really sucks--it's some kind of mental hang up.  I play it over and over before the gig, and then I choke when it counts.  I did play a pretty good solo on the outro, though.

Friday:  we were back at the State Theatre in Falls Church, Virginia (DC area).  One of our favorite venues (except for the bouncy drum riser and un-airconditioned green room)!





Nick redid the set list from the previous night.  It worked out that there were lots of sax songs in the first set.  Fun stuff!  My horn was INSANELY LOUD for Baker Street.  Well done, front of house guy.



We had a couple of hundred for this show.  That's about average for our DC shows.  The theatre will hold a lot more, but it still felt like a good crowd.


Mark Cobb had a spectacular drum solo on Lido Shuffle.


I choked on Africa again.  Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

Saturday:  all day van ride.

Slow week ahead--we have The Greatest Yacht Rock Revival in the Universe coming up in two weeks, though, so this is my big week to get the songs prepared…so I don't choke.


davidfreemanmusic.net