Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sweet Water, but Not on my Keyboard


Soooooo…Yacht Rock played a benefit for the Atlanta Humane Society, held (just like last year) at the SweetWater Brewery.  I like dogs, so yay--fun gig.  There were several ladies walking around with dogs. I got lots of weird looks for encouraging their animals to "quick!  go get in my truck!"



Things were fine.  We loaded in, set up, soundchecked.  We ate their food (they had chips and salsa=yay!).  We played a set--sounded good.  We played another set, and you could see lightning off in the distance.  Hmm.  We decided not to play the last forty minutes of the gig because the weather was closing in on us.  The Humane Society was cool with that.

A couple of drops and we started to pack up.  Before we could get much further along than that, it started pouring!  Aggh!  The stage is covered, so we had protection, but the rain was blowing in from the front of the stage.  We moved everything as quickly as we could to the back of the stage.  Our cases, which had been stacked outside of the stage, were pretty wet, but we got everything on stage was quickly as possible.

It looked like we were managing ok, and then the roof began to leak!  A pretty good stream of water started, almost directly on my keyboards.  It managed to soak all of my cables and pedals.  I got my horns put away and my laptop covered, and Pete scrambled to get both my Fantom and Nord into their cases.  It was chaos for a few minutes.



The rain eventually let up, and I got everything in the truck.  When I got over on the interstate, the roads were totally dry, but a few miles down the road I got another blast of thunderstorm.

All of my equipment is laid out on the dining room floor.  Tomorrow I get to see what's working and what's not.  Fun!

davidfreemanmusic.net