Monday, April 2, 2012

Pretty Good Sunday

Actually, it was a really good Sunday.

My AM church gig is beginning to make sense.  Maybe I'm getting used to the new format, but the big horn section songs don't feel as weird as they did.  It also makes it easier for me with instruments--I know it's just going to be tenor and clarinet, so I'm not going to drag my other stuff to the gig.

One thing that was a drag yesterday morning:  getting off the elevator and hearing the band already playing.  It turns out that the band leader wanted to start at 8 instead of 8:30 (when I showed up), but he didn't tell anybody, so as people started filtering in, they had to dive into rehearsal.  Nice.

We're off the "all black" clothing thing, which is totally cool with me.  I'm not a fan of that look, especially when fewer than half the musicians are actually doing it!

From my church gig, I drove to Dallas, GA for a quick recording session.  Some guys had recorded the Rolling Stones' Can't You Hear Me Knockin', and they needed someone to provide the saxophone solo.  No sweat.  Time to drive out there:  40 minutes;  time in the studio (from the "Hi, I'm Dave" handshake to the "Thanks for having me" handshake:  15 minutes.

It was a home recording set up--two rooms in a guy's basement.  I was in one room with an expensive mic, the control room was on the other side of the wall.  There must have been some kind of limiter on the headphones, because the mic was so hot, I could hear my stomach gurgling, and when they'd talk to me, I could hear well, but when I played, there was no sax in my ears, and the overall mix was really low.  I guess it wasn't a big deal--I could still keep in time, but it just sounded kind of weird.  Anyway, I blew through it and that was that.

My PM church gig was the normal thing.  Palm Sunday!  Every time someone would mention Judas Iscariot, all I could think of was the Branford tune.

The vocals sounded good, and no complaints from anybody.

Here's one more from Saturday night's gig:

 I Can't Go for That (Yacht Rock Revue) by David B Freeman

davidfreemanmusic.net