Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Rehearsal and Recording

It's almost March, so it's almost time for the Yacht Rock Revue to play U2!  We had a rehearsal for a couple of U2 shows coming up--one on Thursday and one on Saturday.  Easy stuff for me…mostly hand percussion, with the occasional one handed keyboard part.


After rehearsal, I made my way over to Madison Studios (where Exocet Studios used to be) for a recording session with Paul Poovey and Eric Alexander.  We did a horn section thing for a Yacht Rock original called Can't Wait for Summer.  I think it turned out well.  Famous last words:  How's this going to take three hours?  It's one tune and we have charts!  Oops.  Peter Stroud produced, though we had a few other "producers" in the room also helping steer the ship.  Russ Fowler engineered.



I put a couple of solos on the tune too.  I think I've mastered the art of not quite nailing it…got close a couple of times, but I couldn't quite get to the end of anything.  Boo.

At least the bari was done in two takes!

davidfreemanmusic.net