Monday, February 27, 2012

Children's Museum, The Fifteen Minute Gig, and Live from Deep in the Cave

Saturday:  the Yacht Rock Revue played a benefit for the Children's Museum.  It was our second year doing this gig.  It was just about the same as the year before--crappy load in, weird room, trouble with the PA, crowd loved it.


I had a good time, and I played well.  My flute solo on Lowdown was better than usual.  I heard from Pete that my sax solo was breaking up in his monitor, but my friend who was at the gig didn't hear this.  Hopefully it was just in the wedges.  I had ear plugs in, so I couldn't hear the PA over the resonance in my head.

I found some good passing chords to play on the chorus of Go Your Own Way (I'm playing a wurly part that doesn't exist on the record).  The basic chords are D minor, Bb, and C.  So I'm adding A minor around the D minor, F around the Bb, and F and D minor around the C.  I'm giving it my best Bencuya impression!  I've been trying different stuff during the past couple of months, and this combination seemed to work the best of all.  Fun for me!


My old friend Steve Florczykowski subbed in with us on bass and did a terrific job.  I've known Steve back from when we played in Atlanta Beat together in the late 90s.   The best compliment I can give is that I didn't even notice he was there!  He fit right in.  Awesome job!

Sunday morning:  I showed up to church gig number one--another weird "play with the orchestra" gig where I played soprano sax/oboe.  We played two songs--that's it!  Fifteen minutes and we were done.  Very nice.

Sunday evening:  we were back in the main church, but somebody had messed with the amplifiers in the main church.  Big, three story stone cathedrals do not need extra reverb!  It sounded like we were in the back of a cave.  Nothing I could do about it--I'm just there with a mixer and two lines plugged into the house patch.  The bandleader went in the back and spoke to somebody about fixing it.  I think it got better for a song or two, and then went back to reverb and more reverb.  Madness!

I got a couple of good flute solos in tonight.  It felt pretty good!

Slow week ahead…

davidfreemanmusic.net