Monday, February 20, 2012

More Good Stuff

Church gig number one went pretty well.  Maybe I was still riding some of the energy from last night, but I felt pretty plugged into what was going on.  The rehearsal seemed kind of casual, and then suddenly we had to run upstairs to play without having gone through everything.  I think we kind of winged it on some stuff--there was a lot of music in the book today.

Here's something from the first service:

 Mt Bethel, February 19, 2012 by David B Freeman

Tremendously phallic waveform.

In the second service, we accompanied the big choir for one song.  When we went downstairs to rehearse it, I brought my clarinet.  Mid song, the band leader called me over and said, "this should be sax, not clarinet!"  I said, "I'll tell you about it later."

Upstairs, I told him that because the choir director hates my saxophone, I played clarinet for rehearsal so she wouldn't notice me.  During the actual service (when she couldn't do anything about it), I let wail with the tenor.  I'm pretty sure she thinks I cover up her highly polished singers;  I'm pretty sure I add some soul to her square Methodist choir!  She thinks I'm Albert Ayler.

Anyway…

Church gig number two was kind of blah.  I played mostly flute…it was a pretty dull service as far as my input.  There just wasn't much for me to do.

davidfreemanmusic.net