Saturday, August 13, 2011

Friday Night Wedding


Yacht Rock played a Friday night wedding on the west side of Atlanta at some event space called Summerour.  Not a bad room by any means, but it was kind of a strange location for a wedding--kind of tucked behind Ikea.

The gig went really well.  We were discussing last night maybe recording some of our weddings, since we tend to play them with a bit more control than some of our live shows.  I agree.  This one was fun and sounded good, and we were spaced far apart on stage that I could hear and nothing was too loud.

The first dance for this one was Just the Way You Are.  I decided to tackle the solo on alto--I'd figured it out on tenor while playing in another band, but never tried it on the smaller horn.  It went ok;  my earlier attempts (at soundcheck) were a bit more accurate.  My pitch is not too good, either.  I wonder if I'm getting more sensitive to intonation, or getting more out of tune?

 Just the Way You Are sax solo by David B Freeman

I also recorded my solo on Biggest Part of Me.  It felt like I was really going to play an awesome solo, but I came up a little short.  I do like how I picked up the last phrase of the guitar at the beginning of my thing.  My reed was uncooperative on the really high stuff.  Lenny Pickett scoffs at me.

 Biggest Part of Me by David B Freeman

Anyway, this was a good gig, and we were out of there at midnight.  Easy load in, the room was air conditioned, and the people were friendly.


Big day today!  It's time for The Greatest Yacht Rock Revival in the Universe.  A few tickets are still available, so come out if you can.


davidfreemanmusic.net