Monday, August 29, 2011

Dallas to Acworth

I spent the weekend waiting…somewhere in there I played two wedding receptions.

The first gig was in Dallas with Yacht Rock.  We flew out first thing Saturday morning--landed at DFW at before noon.  Unfortunately, we didn't load into the venue until 6:30 PM, so we killed off those hours with a big meal at a Mexican restaurant and a walk to Dealey Plaza.  Everybody should eat too much, walk around in 105 degree heat, and look at a bunch of pictures of JFK's blown out skull.  The Dallas experience.



it appears to be perfectly safe
Greg points out a spot where a bullet chipped the curb

I managed to get a nap in there while watching hurricane coverage.

The reception was at the House of Blues in Dallas--not in the main concert room, but in the restaurant part.  What a pathetic excuse for a music venue!  The stage was small (no big deal there), but the PA was pathetic (two mismatched monitors, sixteen channel board, and two Mackie SRM-450s hung from the ceiling for mains), and the guy overseeing the production spent more time looking at his phone than us.  I don't think he ever actually walked out in front of the band to hear what it sounded like.  Every sax solo felt like I was playing without a microphone.  It was very uninspiring.


The only things in the PA were vocals and saxophone, so who knows if it ever balanced with the stage sound.  I tend to doubt that my EWI/keyboards made it out into the room--I couldn't turn up too loud or I wouldn't be able to hear the rest of the band (plus the sax was prone to feedback).  The amp I was using was sitting in the corner and pumped out a ton of bass (plus I was in the corner--more bass!), and the stage had some low end resonance around C or D that was really irritating.  I left out some left hand stuff on the keyboard because of it.

What else can I bitch about…I ended up with a Nord 2 instead of a Nord 3.  I can definitely tell the difference now.  Yuck!  That amp wasn't as bad as the one I used at the House of Blues in Orlando, but it really didn't sound very good.  I missed my gear.  I had shitty reeds on both horns, I think, but everything about playing saxophone in there felt bad.

So…a pretty miserable gig, and I played like I was miserable.  It's a drag, too, because we were playing for a friend of the band who really loves us.  It could have been a lot more fun.


We saw a spectacular car crash (an Audi TT vs a Ford Expedition) in downtown Dallas on the way back to our hotel.

Lobby call was 6:30 AM.  I got about four hours of sleep.  A guy with a Super Bowl ring got on the plane, and then I fell asleep.


We were back in Atlanta around noon.  I went home, ate, and crashed for about four more hours on the couch.  An hour later I was on the way to a wedding reception in Acworth.


I played with most of the Yacht Rock guys in a cover band called Constantly Awesome.  It could have been called Six Feet Tall--Matt Reed played guitar--they made Bencuya and me look short and bald.

I was added onto the gig late last week to provide the Hora (why me?).  It was an easy gig.  I spent most of the gig playing tambourine and watching Bencuya.  Piece of cake.  Nice venue, too--Waterstone Restuarant on Main Street in Acworth.




Easy week this week.

davidfreemanmusic.net