Friday, August 26, 2011

Bomb Night at the 10 High

Ahh, the 10 High.  It was tough to go back after last week's excitement.


I think we played ok.  I played well personally, but as a band we were pretty flat.  I had an awesome alto reed--right in that perfectly broken in moment in its life.  Unfortunately, there were only two alto songs on the setlist, though (and two tenor tunes).  Bummer.  The keyboard stuff was all good (we played Lonely Boy).  I was really comfortable with everything--I can't think of anything were I screwed up.  Probably the worst thing I did was to accidentally hit record on my Fantom a couple of times while we were playing Ride Like the Wind--the way my hand was shaped kept turning it (and the accompanying metronome) on.

Actually, the worst thing I did was on my flute solo for Lowdown.  I tried to think of it as A7 instead of E minor, and then I tried to play an altered scale over that (which was NOT an improvement), and then I thought I'd stick with it to see if my ear would adjust.  It did not.  I did not sound good…now I know.  E minor is better.  Stay inside!

Some of this happened:



Anyway…Good Luck Ganesh pulled us through on the money, even though it looked like the room never filled up.  Yay for that!

While we were packing up, the entire Dark Horse Tavern (10 High and the Warren Room included) were semi-evacuated because a crazy guy claimed he had a bomb.  It looked like a can of spraypaint to me, but I guess you can never be sure.  The bouncers were chasing him through the parking lot--not towards my truck!  Bencuya and I followed the parade (with Bencuya quoting Prince's 1999--"Mommy, why does everybody have a bomb?").  Soon enough he was in the back of a police cruiser.  Too much excitement.

Here's some stuff from the festival a few weeks ago.  An awesome picture by friend of the band Chad Hunter (of Moontower).


Also video of us playing Rosanna.  What a great mix!  That's me on organ, brass, and the synth solo.



davidfreemanmusic.net