Friday, January 21, 2011

My Mojo Returneth

I'm finally all the way back from the funk that has plagued me for the past few weeks!  I felt good and confident about everything I played last night.  It's about time.

We had a great gig last night at the 10 High.  The crowd was pretty good--better than last week, but not overly enthusiastic about what we were doing.  Maybe it was the number of people out there, but I thought the onstage sound was much better, and that made a difference for me--who wants to do anything but go home when it sounds like crap.

Remember how I was working on picking up the bass part on Steal Away?  I listened to it this week--the piano/synth guy (my role on this song) doesn't do that at all!  Instead, the piano kind of doubles what the synth does.  Way easier.  Stupid me.

Earlier in the day we had a final rehearsal for the big show tonight at the Variety Playhouse.  This rehearsal concentrated on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.  We're adding a trombonist (Jill Freeman) to make the horn section bigger and brassier (and more french hornier, but french hornists are hard to come by, so we're using a trombonist).  All my charts were good except for one--she's doubling the alto part, and I forgot to transpose it from Eb to C:


Oops.  It sounded super bad when she was playing a minor third away from the rest of us.

We also ran The Dark Side of the Moon one more time.  Bencuya's got the synth solo in Any Colour You Like really happening.

It should be a great show tonight.

davidfreemanmusic.net