Saturday, January 8, 2011

Church Business

I'd like to give an update regarding one of my church gigs.

As you may recall from an earlier post, I found out that the musicians in the band are all making different amounts.  Let's say I've been making $A.  Someone else in the band is making 1.5 x $A.  Someone else in the band is making 2 x $A.  Not cool.  All three of us were surprised (and, of course, I was pissed!).

I sent the band leader an email Sunday afternoon in an attempt to get his side of the story:


Hey Xxxxx-

What's up with the money?  I heard that different members of the band are making different amounts, and I'm confused as to why we would not be paid equally.  

I would like to paid the same as everyone else.

DBF

I was hoping he'd have some sort of reason that could justify the fact that the guy next to me is making twice as much as I am.  Maybe:

1.  The other guys have been here longer
2.  They began at a higher rate
3.  They have hair

Something…anything!

I had just asked for a raise in December, so I began making 1.5 x $A last Sunday.  The middle guy (who had been making 1.5 x $A) asked for a raise last week, and the band leader whispered to him that they had just bumped me up to his amount (and what business does he having sharing this information?)!  Now middle guy wants to go up to 2 x $A like the third guy (and I can't blame him), so I'll still end up making less than anyone else in the band, and for no apparent reason.  Another scenario would be that two us make two thirds of what the third guy makes.

I sent the email to the band leader Sunday afternoon.  Friday afternoon, I finally received the following response:

You will be paid $x starting this Sunday…thanks           Xxxxx

Nice.  No explanation at all, and for some reason he is informing me about the new rate (1.5 x $A), even though it began January 2.

My point of this blog:  remember when dealing with a paid church gig that the church is a business, and playing gigs is a business.  My biggest misstep was in not asking for more money from the outset.  I wanted the gig, and I gave them a safe number instead of an appropriate price.  Now that I am on the gig, I know much more about the time commitment:  an seventy-five minute rehearsal plus a church service (plus having to wake up WAAAY too early for me).  I wish I had factored that in.

Obviously on the other side of it, I am disappointed that a church would be so indifferent about paying the musicians different rates--I guess church ethics don't extend that far!  Also, it never ceases to amaze me that a fellow musician (and band leader) would do something like this, knowing that we are all doing our best to cobble together a career.

I wonder what the vibe will be like tomorrow morning!

davidfreemanmusic.net