Monday, November 29, 2010

The Usual Sunday

I got home from the trip to Athens at something like 4 AM, unloaded the truck, and went to bed around 4:30 AM.  Ouch.  I was up three hours later to chug some coffee and head out to church gig number one.

Church gig number one was the typical circus that I've described in the past few weeks.

The service began a half hour later (10 AM), and last week I asked if rehearsal would be a half hour later.  Yes was the answer I got.  Of course, I showed up at 8:30 this week and they were knee deep in the music, making me look late.

Other than that, it was the typical one song of this, one song of that, one song with a choir I'd never seen before, one song with handbells.  I didn't get any preparation emails earlier in the week this time, so there was nothing I could have done differently.

I've been wearing my glasses to this first gig so that I don't have to force my contacts into my face so early in the morning, and once again I noticed how much I need my peripheral vision--a little cue, or eye contact with someone.  That's too bad.  My eyeballs aren't in the mood that early in the morning.

I don't know if it's by design, but when I began this gig we were playing a lot more gospel sort of stuff, and now it's turned more towards the contemporary christian stuff--less tenor and now more soprano.  Less blowing for me (and more sneaking around in the music).  It remains to be seen how this will play out.

I went home and went back to bed.

Church gig number two was also the same as it has been.  Fewer singers than past weeks...drummer plays too softly--he should take off his headphones and balance his volume to the rest of the band acoustically...drummer should mic the suspended cymbal...some of the regular music has changed with the liturgical calendar, which is nice after playing so much of the same thing all summer/fall...my infatuation with the tight clothes usher is waning...

davidfreemanmusic.net