Monday, October 18, 2010

Saturday Night and All of Sunday (and some of Monday!)

Saturday night I played with the Yacht Rock Schooner at the Wild Wing Cafe in Suwanee.  It was really good and really easy.  I just show and blow on the sax and flute stuff.  I had pretty good reeds on both saxes, and I reached way back and pulled the flute part for Diamond Girl out of my butt.  Impressive!

A funny acoustical thing:  as we got going and got louder, the a few of the bass notes started resonating in my tenor, which caused a random low frequency feedback.  For instance, the first chord of the verse on Peg is a CMaj7, and when the bass would play a low C this low roar would begin cycling between my mic and the monitor.  Awesome!  Not really!  The sound guy couldn't figure out from where it was coming, but I knew.  Not that I said anything...

Sunday morning's church gig went pretty well.  We had to contend with a middle school choir.  They were pretty funny because they're all of that age where they're full of themselves.  It was pretty entertaining to watch their body language.

On the break (the sermon!) we went down in the basement in search of doughnuts.  I'd never been down there.  It's quite a complex, complete with rows of music offices, and video production studio (manned by three humans), a small recording studio, and rehearsal rooms.  The doughnuts were ok.

Sunday night's church gig was about average.  My soprano reeds are done!  I desperately need another box.  I need to find time to go to the music store.

Sunday afternoon and evening (and Monday morning) were all taken up with creating charts for my Halloween gig with Ben Lovett.  Big rehearsal tomorrow!

davidfreemanmusic.net