Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Monday House Live



Monday night was a House Live gig with Wayne and Jeff at Ventanas.  I should get reserved parking spot or something.  I'm there all the time!  How about a free helicopter ride?











Anyway, usual stuff...not much to report.  I decided not to bring my soprano because the gig was only two hours, and I don't have any good soprano reeds.  I am fixing that right now--I soaked a box of reeds, and now they are drying on my desk.  I'll play them this afternoon and see what which are my best prospects at the moment.  The remainder will dry for a few more hours before I put them back in their plastic sleeves and in my reed box.  My flute face is kind of out of shape because I've been so busy doing other stuff.  After a couple of hours of it, my embouchure was definitely getting tired.

Monday during the day, I did a horn section rehearsal for an upcoming gig (Halloween night at Smith's Olde Bar!) with Ben Lovett.  Ben's stuff is really cool.  I recorded some of his stuff for his latest album last year--I really don't remember.  I met up with him one night after a gig and played bass clarinet for a few hours.  The next night was a big mid-seventies Elvis brass thing.  

Anyway, we (Tom Gibson, trombone and Paul Poovey, trumpet), got together and played through the charts.  It sounded pretty good.  I think the show's going to sound good.  Here's hoping it's a packed house!  You can listen to one of Ben's tunes here.