Saturday, October 30, 2010

Friday in Nashville























Yacht Rock played last night in Nashville at the Mercy Lounge.  There was an 80s band and a 90s band downstairs in the Cannery Ballroom, and we played upstairs (with some bad glam rock opener).

Dig my John Oates look!

The gig was pretty good.  That stage (really, that whole room) is super loud.  It feels to me like the drums are in the monitors, and then everybody jacks up their personal amplifiers to balance that.

Anyway, the gig was pretty good.  We played Thriller again, to a pretty lukewarm reception.  In the quieter moments you could really hear the crowd talking.  When we finished, they wanted us to come out and play more Yacht Rock stuff (which I can dig), but it was like "Hurry up and finish Thriller so you can play Rich Girl."

I heard that Nick walked into the dressing room area after the show and one of the opening band guys was receiving some sexual favors on the couch.  Rock and roll lives!  It was the same girl that asked if she could play my flute (no), and then kind of seductively cheered me as I pulled a swab through my tenor ("yeah...clean it out...yeah").  I can't remember what else she said to me--I was trying really hard to ignore her (questions about what shoes I'd be wearing in the next set, things on that level).

The best part of this trip was that we stayed at the Hotel Indigo, which is a sweet boutique-style hotel with huge, cool rooms.  I roomed with the one and only Mark Dannells.





























Other than that, it was pretty much the usual situation up there.  We showed up, we played, we slept, and we drove back.  Dannells, G Lee, and Ganesh got up at 5 AM and drove back early.  No thank you.  The room was awesome!  The beds were very comfortable, and the shower had those humungous shower heads (but no shower doors?).  You've got to take advantage of stuff like this!

We stopped at Wendy's on the way home.  Mark Bencuya got into it!



davidfreemanmusic.net