Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Charles River























I always thought Charles River was a river;  turns out it's a drug company.  I think these people might have been on some Charles River medications.

We did a House Live gig for them last night at the Omni.























Wayne.























Jeremy.


They were an annoying, drunk bunch.  We endured lots of people trying to talk to us while we were playing.  Multiple people walked up on stage to talk to Jeremy (the DJ).  By the end of the night, there were more than ten people sitting on the front of the stage at my feet, and occasionally the fat girl would fall over backwards and almost the microphone stand or my instruments.  We had requests (we're not even playing songs!) for Dave Brubeck and salsa.

Here's my personal highlight of the night:  we're playing, right?  We're background music--we're setting the vibe of the party.  Keep in mind that It sounds something like this, and I'm just improvising over it.  As I'm switching from flute to saxophone, a girl starts yelling to me, so (for some dumb reason) I lean down to hear what she wants.


She:  "Do you know what the next song is?"

Me:  "No."

She:  "Can you ask the DJ to play something more upbeat?"

Me:  "This isn't upbeat?"

She:  "What's the next song?"

Me:  "Inagaddadavida."

She:  "What?"

Me:  "Inagaddadavida."

She stares blankly.

Me:  "It's a classic.  You're gonna love it.  It's upbeat."

She stares blankly.

She:  "What's the next song?"

Me:  "Inagaddadavida."

She stares blankly.

She:  "It sounds really good."

davidfreemanmusic.net