Thursday, September 23, 2010

Rolling Stones and the Dark Side

I played with Main Street Exiles last night, continuing our month long residency at the 10 High in Atlanta.  It was fun, but damn was it loud!

We used a different (I guess they're now the regular guys!) drummer and keyboardist.  The drummer was Derek Murphy, who sounded terrific.  I think he holds his breath when he plays, though.  I'm not sure if that's a criticism (what difference does it make to me?), but watching from just offstage, that's the way it appeared.  Maybe he's not.  It's just something I noticed.  Some guys look like they're working harder than others.  He sounded great, though, and played on a really pretty vintage Gretch drum kit.

The keyboardist was some kid named Patrick who played air guitar on a cowboy boot and wore his tie around his head like it was a headband for the second set.  Not impressive!  His girlfriend had really nice legs, though, and he brought more people to the gig than I did.

I waited all night to play the solo on Miss You;  I was ready, I was practiced, I could do it at home;  got on the gig, got excited, and botched the end of it.  Same thing with Brown Sugar.  I was ready, but I couldn't stick to the recorded solo the whole way through.  Maybe next time!

A few more lovely shots:



Before I left, I had spent the afternoon working on The Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd), which we are playing next Wednesday night in its entirety (synched up to the Wizard of Oz for The Dark Side of the Rainbow).  This will be fun!  I've done this a couple of times, but I've always learned the basics of the sax solo and then done my own thing.  This time I transcribed the sax stuff--I'm going to be on it!

Here's where the solo on Money is at:



Here's where the solo on Us and Them is at:



We will not have a female vocalist that night, so I was also given the task of handling her improvisation on The Great Gig in the Sky.  I wrote out the whole thing (as close as I could).  Here's where I'm at with that.



davidfreemanmusic.net