Friday, March 26, 2010

Double Thursday

Yesterday was another double gig Thursday for me.  House Live did another gig at Ventanas downtown.  As you can see, it was another cool looking gig, and we had a good time.  My new shirt performed well.
When that gig ended, I drove like a wild man to the 10 High for the Yacht Rock gig.  I'm beginning to think that the crowd will never catch on to the fact that we start at 9:30--everybody turns up in the middle of the first set (10 PM!).  
This installment of Yacht Rock was invaded by the Schooner!  We had Ganesh Giri Jaya on drums, Kevin Spencer on vocals and Vanessa Olivarez on vocals.  We played lots of tunes we haven't touched in a while, which was cool, and then kind of frightening!  Lots of "I wish I'd played through that this afternoon" moments.  Overall, I think things went pretty well.  The second set kind of steamrolled me, though--a few too many in a row where I didn't get a chance to think them through before we got on stage.  The giant Newcastle on the break was also involved.
The Great Mark Cobb came through around 10:30 and stayed and played in the second set.  He even sang Brandy, which hasn't happened in quite some time.  
Now...the equipment problem of the night!  This gig's weirdness occurred either in my little mixer or my DI to the house.  Hans (sound guy) says that my levels would be either really hot or barely there at all.  Things were fine on stage, so I'm thinking that the aux send on my mixer is messed up.  I would rather it was the DI, but I doubt it.  A few months back Hans mentioned that my level was much lower than the previous week (even though I hadn't adjusted anything on my board).  I suppose it could be his line, too.  I guess we'll troubleshoot over the next month and see where the problem is.  The fun never ends!





www.davidfreemanmusic.net