Friday, January 29, 2010

Karate Cobb


Mark Cobb!
Mark Cobb!
Mark Cobb!

Cobb was pretty on fire last night, especially in the first set.  At one point, he took some crazy fill, and kept flipping it over and playing a different way every eight measures.  So cool...I loved it (every version of it).  That stuff really makes the gig for me.

My first set went pretty well.  I actually got off a good solo on Takin' it to the Streets.  I never ran out of ideas.  Bencuya recorded last night (mostly for the banter, but maybe there will be something musically good, too).  The second set he will hopefully erase!  I kind of tripped and kept falling for a couple of songs.  In particular, I totally bit it on All Night Long (I have not mentioned today that I hate that song, so...I hate that song!).  I was pretty terrible.

Last night was judged by Wheat Williams.  Wheat is an amateur musician who knows a lot about the music we are playing, and most conversations with him are either inquisitions or trivia contests.  He and I spoke before the gig began, and he let it be known that really thinks we need to add a second keyboardist (that keyboardist being his old friend Eric Frampton).  His take on my situation was that I was probably fine as a player, but Eric Frampton is WORLD CLASS!!!  (he reminded me that Frampton had toured with Yani!  What's the matter Wheat?  What about the B-52s?  Did you forget about them?).  I agree--Frampton's ten times the keyboardist that I am.  Congratulations.  If you think you can take this gig from me, come and get it.
www.davidfreemanmusic.com